Friday, March 9, 2012

The Not-So-Weaker Sex



Make no mistake--this is power.
Being a feminist and being feminine can be the same thing. Women can wear makeup and bras without automatically assuming a position of inferiority to our counter genders or crushing our differentiating looks, physical makeup or abilities in order to be taken seriously.

Men who require women to act like men in order to earn respect are of the lowest intelligence and possess the highest insecurity in their own sexuality.

What makes me different also makes me independent and fierce.
Because I have the ability to literally grow a human inside of me, I am not a lesser person but one of incredible power.
At most, men can stand by helplessly, set to forever wonder what it feels like to have a hand, a kick, a footprint, a summersault, hiccup and sneeze exploding from within.

Weaker sex? Please.
I am only a weak feminist if I think what separates me from a man makes me weak.

What separates women from men makes them strong, independent and oh, so fierce. 

Human rights and women’s rights are synonymous. Therefore, a true feminist realizes that she may celebrate her femininity, should she choose to do so, without compromising her power as a human or her rights as an individual.

“I, myself, have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is. I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a door mat or a prostitute.” – Rebecca West

No comments:

Post a Comment