Tuesday, May 1, 2012

This is a depressing post, but it has a point in the end, I promise


The more I try to write fiction the more I realize that stories in my own life are much more interesting than my imagination. Mostly because when I tell people about my life, they are often so bizarre people think I’m psychotic  I’m drunk  I’m high I’m lying.

I don’t lie about my past—it happened, and it made me an isolated freak who I am today.
Also, my husband has funnier stories than I do.
This happened yesterday:

James: Why are you lying on the bed?

Me: Because I’m sad.

James: Why are you sad? Is it because you finally realized that I’m ugly?

Me: [glare at him]

James: Well, what can I do to cheer you up?

Me: Nothing. The world has turned to gray ash in my mouth. And I’m not exaggerating.

James: Want me to tell you the story of “Butt, and the Slowly Fading Sunset?”

Me: No

James: What about “The Ding Bat Who Drank Too Much”?

Me: That’s not even real.

James: It’s a children’s book. Best seller. What about “McDoogle and the Inappropriate Orange Juice”?

Me: Leave before I do something that will get me on the 6 o’clock news.

Perhaps my husband is the more bizarre story I’ll even try to unwind. This is oddly comforting, because the prospect of me returning to China is fading quickly, and while all my stories of transvestites washing my hair my neighbors eating my dog adventures happened in China…maybe I’ll have unbelievable adventures again with him. Even if I am in America.

3 comments:

  1. You tell--and write--the best stories. I will be very intrigued to see where you end up, and what you end up doing with your many talents.

    Does this mean you're interested in pursuing nonfiction at a graduate level?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to get my MFA in nonfiction. If I've learned anything, however, it's that no author tells the absolute truth about themselves. Ever.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you didn't end up on the 6:00 news. :-)

    ReplyDelete